5 Wide Receivers You Need to Draft
Draft season is right around the corner. To some, it is the most enjoyable part of Fantasy Football. You spend weeks gassing yourself up for your great picks before your hopes and dreams are crushed in week 1 and you scramble to rebuild. Today, we are going to discuss my top five wide receivers you must leave your draft with. Based on both value, and potential opportunity. A lot of these players we have discussed during the off season, and I can’t stress grabbing them enough. In no order:
1. Geronimo Allison (ADP: 8.11) – Chances are you’re going to miss out on Davante Adams, except it right now. IF you do, there is hope. Geronimo Allison was fantastic for fantasy when healthy. He only dealt with a hamstring issue last season so we should see him healthy by now. When he was healthy, he took 76% of the snaps. He averaged 12.5 fantasy points per game, which would put him as a good flex play in your line up. We never got to see his full potential last season and if he’s healthy this is the year.
2. Dede Westbrook & Keelan Cole (ADP 10.05 & undrafted) – I’m counting both players here because we really don’t have a clue what the Jags will do. Defillipos history says both will be good, but that depends on Nick Foles. The Jaguars didn’t offer Nick Foles that big boy contract to not throw the ball, you’re looking at the potential of a WR2 or flex play for minimal cost and you need to own at least one of these two.
3. Curtis Samuel (ADP 10.12) – In theory you might not get Samuel and Westbrook in the same draft, but both are fantastic choices. Towards the end of the season we saw Carolina move away from Devin Funchess and use Moore and Samuel as their 1 and 2. If you miss out on DJ Moore in the fourth round, Curtis Samuel is still a good option. He wasn’t explosive last season, only being a WR1 once. He was consistent though, and we could see his potential go up if Cam’s shoulder gets better. With Samuel you are getting a WR3 with WR1 upside every week and for a price of the 10th round, almost 11th. You cannot beat that.
4. Jamison Crowder (ADP undrafted) – We have not talked about him at all this off season, except during our free agency quick recaps. Adam Gase has a coaching history of using his slot wide receivers a decent amount. Quincy Enunwa is still there, and he made his money in the slot. Both players are going undrafted, but Adam Gase picked Crowder in free agency. For me personally, I think that makes him the guy to own. With no cost to get Crowder you might as well grab him because the potential upside is worth it.
5. Donte Moncrief (ADP 11.11) – Either him, or James Washington is going to be the number 2 for the Steelers. I personally go back and forth on the two. Washington seems to have some growing pains. The Steelers, under Mike Tomlin have not went out and paid for a free agent wide receiver like they did for Moncrief. It’s 3.5 million guaranteed, but 9 million overall. I don’t think Pittsburgh would have grabbed someone in free agency if they weren’t a little bit worried about Washington. It’s all speculation, but make sure you grab one of these two if you can. They’re being drafted as the WR51 and WR52 back to back.